Just 2 sub-headings out of 11 of the emerging Health, Safety and Environmental news around Asia Pacific. Members are encouraged to log into the Table of Contents to find out more details of the 11 Emerging AP HSE News.
Australia – Western Australia
1) WorkSafe – Draft Guidance Note on Falls Prevention In The Agricultural Sector for Public Comment
Scope and application of this guidance note
· provides guidance on the prevention of falls from heights in the agricultural sector. In particular, it provides an outline of the risk management processes to be conducted. It is presented as a starting point to address falls prevention from farm equipment and structures.
· looks at typical high risk agriculture activities, such as using silos, windmills and carting hay bales, and recommends control measures to eliminate or minimise the risk of falling during these tasks.
1) Waste Disposal (Clinical Waste) (General) Regulation (General Regulation) and the Waste Disposal (Charge for Disposal of Clinical Waste) Regulation
Regulatory control of clinical waste to be introduced
Gazetted on 18th June 2010, alongside the Waste Disposal (Amendment) Ordinance 2006 (Commencement) Notice 2010.
· to ensure clinical waste is handled and disposed of in an environmentally sound and safe manner,
· clinical waste producers (e.g. hospitals and clinics) will have to employ licensed waste collectors to collect and transport their clinical waste for treatment and disposal at the Chemical Waste Treatment Centre.